From:
Wayne and Mary <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Dec 1998 14:15:33 -0500
On 2 Dec 98,, the dancing digits of Three Rivers Museum delivered:

> The question for us is how we should
> handle this collection.  Is there special requirements for the storage of
> these guns that should be considered?  What kind of additional security
> might be required, etc?  Does the ATF need to be informed, etc?

Although it certainly wouldn't hurt to check with ATF, unless there
are machine guns or submachine guns (fully automatic weapon) you
shouldn't have any legal problems.

The guns should be given a very light coat of non-polarized oil
(commercial gun oil).  This will prevent rusting wherever the bluing
has worn off.  The oiling should be redone every year.

There are special gunsleeves that are treated with anti-corrosives to
prevent rusting in storage.  They are available from any good
sporting goods store.  The main thing is to keep them dry.  Use of
these sleeves would reduce the oiling need.

If you are concerned about the guns being stolen and used in crimes,
have a gunsmith render them inoperable by removing the firing pins.
Keep the pins in a safe so that they can be reinstalled if desired.
Otherwise, I would think you would need no other security measures
than you normally use for the rest of your collection.

Wayne Haegele