From:
Pamela Sezgin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Apr 2002 12:10:49 EST
Dear Jerry,

Pulaski cabinets makes beautiful curio and china cabinets which I've used in
small museums for display cases (e.g., for fossils,  ceramics and glass or
objects that don't have require a lot of environmental controls).   You can
find them with locking doors and internal lights on dimmers (that help with
regulating the foot candles).    I usually buy the cabinets from a local
furniture store chain (in Atlanta, Treasures for Your Home) and I negotiate a
significant discount  for the museum (e.g., 50 percent off) or buy them when
they are on sale.  They come in a variety of sizes and prices ranges.

If I need display cabinets that have internal environmental regulatory
mechanisms (e.g., fans, air filtration, micro-environments), I buy these used
from other museums (i.e., museums in process of expansion where they are
upgrading their cases) and rehab them or from large exhibit design firms
(e.g., Malone's in Atlanta) where they were demo models used at trade shows
(e.g., AAM Expo).    You might be able to get a small case for $7000 if you
call several companies and negotiate.  Of course, shipping costs might be
expensive unless you can find a manufacturer or exhibit design firm locally
or in a nearby city.

Hope these suggestions help.

Cordially,
Pamela Sezgin