From:
Boylan P <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Jul 1997 14:21:52 +0100
Lynne:

Your definition is of course entirely correct. The answer to you question
is that so far as I know "we" don't - except for the Dutch who I think
started this confusion because the alternative (autonomised??) is no
more a Dutch word than it is good English!! (Their "privatised" national
museums are more closely controlled as part of the public sector than e.g.
the British Museum has ever been in its 200+ year history.)

However, there are certainly PRIVATE museums (in the true sense - owned
as the private property of individuals with no guarantee of permanecne
and with any revenue profit or capital gain going to the proprietors)
as well as what in the UK we normally term "Independent" museums (i.e.
not-for-profit charitable bodies outside the direct control of a public
authority).

Patrick Boylan