From:
CANDY CARLSON <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 2 Jun 1996 09:46:33 -0700
More than just the exhibits, is the museum personnel who can influence
"kids" to continue visiting and enjoying museums.  I worked at two small
museums in a small town in New Mexico.  The University museum had an
excellent out reach program to local elementary schools, with bus loads
of school children constantly touring the museum. But I rarely saw any of
these young visitors return on their own.  The city museum was a
different story. One of the museum docents was a retired school teacher.
Kids were constantly coming in the museum because of her interaction with
them.  I remember a group of ten year old boys came in one hot summer
afternoon to use the drinking fountain and restrooms.  She spent some
time with them "educating" them on proper museum etiquette, and
explaining the exhibits.  Later in the summer, one by one, the boys would
come in to show her their rock collection and ask questions about the
museum's mineral exhibit.  I think all too often we forget the influence
that volunteers have on our audience.  Museums are more than just exhbits!

-Candy