From:
Ken Yellis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Jan 1995 14:21:57 EDT
On Wed, 4 Jan 1995 11:50:34 -0500,
Holly Trimper  <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>I'm curious: has there ever been a survey or inventory as to the type of
>museums and folks on this list?  What I mean is, what percent of us
>museum-l-ers are natural history museum people, how many history, how many
>art, etc etc.?  I realize that an exact count is impossible because people
>subscribe and unsubscribe regularly.  I was surprised last semester when we
>learned that 2/3 of all museums in the US are history museums or historic
>sites.  Only 9% natural history!  Eek!  I was wondering if those numbers
>translate onto museum-l...probably not, due to the basic fact that museum-l
>subscribers need certain hardware/software and computer knowledge.  But I'd
>still like to have a sense of who's out there, museum-type-wise.

Also, the numbers of museums say nothing about their relative sizes and,
therefore, staffing levels.  Many natural history museums are huge -- ours
is midsized, I guess -- and some art museums are as well; a very large
number of history museums and especially historic sites, on the other hand,
have few or no paid staff.  You can get a sense of this by simply looking
at entries in the Official Museum Directory.

Ken Yellis
Assistant Director for Public Programs
Peabody Museum of Natural History
170 Whitney Avenue