From:
Stephen Nowlin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Jan 2000 10:10:56 -0800
>At 02:36 PM 1/25/00 -0600, you wrote:
>>If you are online with images, I would like to know what steps you took
>>before posting the images.
>
>It is so easy to capture many images from the Internet, but Web designers
>do need to be aware of the licensing of GIF files. Please read the third
>paragraph in the following information that I found on this Unisys Web site:
>http://corp2.unisys.com/LeadStory//lzwfaq.html

Don't panic over use of gif images.  The following site clarifies Unisys'
policy.  Notable among the text is:

"For organizations introducing World Wide Web servers and "Home Page"
offerings, most will not be required to secure a license from Unisys.
Most organizations acquire software from other developers to create their
offerings on their servers. Therefore, only the software firms who sell
the enabling software for profit would be expected to secure a licensing
agreement from Unisys."

i.e., if you make gifs using Photoshop or some other enabling software,
you're fine.  Non-profit use of gifs is further exempted.  Full text can
be found at:

http://lpf.ai.mit.edu/Patents/Gif/unisys.html

     S t e p h e n    N o w l i n       Director, Williamson Gallery

     Vice President                     Creative Director, ACCD online
     Art Center College of Design       www.artcenter.edu