From:
Ron Twellman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Aug 2000 12:20:49 -0500
Listers -
I wouldn't characterize the difference between 20K & 33K as slight as it
closely matches the change in my own pay over my eleven years in the
profession and I know what a difference that has made in my life style.
Also as a salaried employee I've always considered that I'm getting paid for
what I know and what I can accomplish - not the hours I put in - which range
upward from 45hrs/wk.

So how do you get by with 6 people where there used to be 10?  It's the old
saw of working smarter not harder.  Re-prioritize all tasks (there are
always some that we'd like to do, but don't really need to do), or do one
less exhibition per year (depending on how you budget, this might also free
up more money for salaries), or re-double the effort to secure volunteers
and donations in kind (there's a topic for another whole thread).

Then work to get the budget up to hire back those 4 lost bodies.  Raise or
start charging admission where possible, make your governing body aware of
their role & responsibility in all this - funding operations i.e. salaries,
extend operating hours to increase visitorship & income (If you're there
working those 60 hours anyway, why not let people in?).

In short, I agree that it's a problem that the "profession" hedges around
rather like people involved in abusive relationships who keep coming back
because they "love" the person or in this case the work.  It'll change when
we change it and not before.

I hope my few examples of how to increase productivity and income will steer
this thread away from the philosophical to the practical.  I enjoy the
philosophy, but I'm always looking for new ideas to steal myself.

RT