From:
Amalyah Keshet <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Apr 1996 23:27:23 PDT
Wait a minute - isn't this one of the lists on which the idea that
copyright supposedly restricts everyone's access to works of art,
monopolizes intellectual freedom, quashes freedom of expression and
most of the Bill of Rights... has been discussed?
Come on, now!
-------------------------------------
name: amalyah keshet
e-mail: [log in to unmask]
date: 04/18/96

-------------------------------------
On Wed, 17 Apr 1996 09:30:31 -0400  Brian M Decker wrote:
>I tend to disagree with the idea of introducing works of art into the
>commercial arena.  Flooding the market with reproductions of a
particular
>work of art would in my mind 'dilute' the value of that work.  It
becomes a
>common item, and people may no longer desire to view the original.
Why go
>to a museum to see it when you can look at a representation of the
same thing
>hanging on your wall?  The impression that the work may have had on
people
>is different now that anyone can get a copy of it, and I think it
diminishes
>the value of the work in general.
>
>Brian Decker
>
>On Tue, 16 Apr 1996, J. Golden wrote:
>
>>         I am interested to know if anyone has any strong opinions
>> regarding the reproduction of images in a museum's collection,
either by
>> the museum itself or by other companies, for commercial use--for
example,
>> posters, postcards, coffee mugs, or whatnot.  Specifically, I'm
>> interested in knowing whether anyone feels that widespread
reproductions
>> have any impact on the artistic integrity of the original object.
Any