From:
"Michael A. Mares" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Jun 2005 11:26:17 -0500
I want to let list members know that our museum, The Sam Noble
Oklahoma Museum of Natural History, is making the museum documentary,
Behind the Rain, available at a discount to Museum-L members.

FILM: DVD
BEHIND THE RAIN: THE STORY OF A MUSEUM

This documentary film was the Grand Prize winner of the 2003 Oklahoma
IndieFest Film Festival as best film of the year.

A story relating to the film said in part:

The sister and brother-in-law of famed actor Al Pacino recently
finished...a documentary for the Sam Noble Oklahoma Museum of Natural
History. The film was produced by former museum director Michael
Mares, Roberta Pacino and her husband Mark Richman. "Behind the Rain:
The Story of a Museum" tells the story of the development of the Sam
Noble Oklahoma Museum of Natural History and "how we had probably the
worst storage conditions of any museum and went to the best
conditions of any museum in the country."

The film shows the natural landscapes of Oklahoma and traces the
museum's history from 1899. "Following the history of the museum was
amazing," said Richman. "They actually lost the museum --it burned to
the ground twice--and almost lost it again in 1989. They had the
entire heritage of the state of Oklahoma in barns. They almost lost 5
million artifacts. There is a lot of drama in the documentary."

The film takes its title from lyrics in the song, "Oklahoma!"

This 52-minute documentary covers the history of the museum from the
days of Oklahoma Territory through the dedication of a new
state-of-the-art facility in 2000. The film ends in 2002. It is the
story of the people of Norman and of Oklahoma rallying around and
building a new museum in the face of great opposition. It is a story
of hope for all museums.

Copies of the DVD may be ordered by sending a check to: Susan Kokojan
([log in to unmask]). Cost is $10 + shipping and handling, which is about
$2.00 for those in the United States. The film should play on any
standard DVD player or computer.

The check should be made out to: SNOMNH.

Contact Ms. Kokojan by email of you have any questions.

--
Dr. Michael A. Mares
Research Curator