Date:
Fri, 24 Jun 1994 08:51:55 EDT
> I've noticed that there seems to be a movement to pitch Science Centers
> to communities as a way of encouraging technological development in
> their areas and I wondered if Natural History folks had any thoughts
> on that. Would these economic concerns bias the presentation of the
> history of science? Or has Disney already done that?

Personally, I'm more concerned about the presentation of
current science than past history -- and not because of Science
Centers, but rather the political realities that have moved
into power.  [The opinions expressed herein are my own, not
those of the institution or the Commonwealth!]

In Virginia, we have a governor who is hard-core
business/economic development.  He has appointed a Secretary of
Natural Resources who shares those views -- and her stated
mentors are Jesse Helms & James Watt.  She has publicly stated
her opposition to the Endangered Species legislation ('worst
piece of legislation' in existence....) and the National
Biological Survey ('just get in the way of state's rights and
economic development').  Among the agencies that report to her
are the Dept. of Game and Inland Fisheries (with
responsibilities for permiting, endangered species.....),
Conservation and Recreation (including the Natural Heritage
program for the state), Chesapeake Bay Authority, & VA Museum
of Natural History......  This is our boss for the next 4
years, folks.

Ironically, it may turn out at the end of this 4 years, that
the only state supported environmental education will be via
the Science Museum in Richmond -- which reports to the
Secretary of Education.  Disney is only the beginning......

--
Paisley Cato