From:
Gerard Perez <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Apr 1996 17:42:01 GMT
Liz Ackert <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>This request for information is being cross-posted to Museum-L and
>Libref-L.  Please forward it to colleagues who may be able to assist us.
>__________________

>The Colonial Williamsburg Foundation Library has extensive holdings of
>photographic images (in excess of 200,000).  My colleagues in Visual
>Resources wish to know if other museums and/or libraries copyright
>individual photographic images in their collections.  This question relates
>especially to those images which are requested for use in periodical and
>book publications.

>If your institution does copyright photographic images, it would be useful
>for us to know when the application for copyright is usually initiated.  Is
>it at the time a contract is drawn up as part of a rights and reproductions
>transaction?  Or are selected images copyrighted in anticipation of their
>use by other publishers?  And if so, how are such decisions made.

>Please respond privately and I will summarize responses to the list.  Many
>thanks in advance for your consideration and assistance.

>Liz Ackert

>  >>:> >>:> >>:> >>:> >>:> >>:> >>:> >>:> >>:>

>  Liz Ackert ([log in to unmask])
>  Public Services Librarian
>  Colonial Williamsburg Foundation Library
>  P.O. Box 1776 / 415 North Boundary Street
>  Williamsburg, VA 23187-1776
>  Phone (804) 220-7419  Fax (804) 221-8902

I need some help here. How can a Museum pretend to have any copyrights
to photos that were taken by other people unless they have benn
assigned to the museum?

I always thought that copyrights remain with the artist, the creator,
unless she/he assigned the rights to any other entity. I also thought
that the rights remain with her/his heirs or estate for the fifty
years following the artist/creator' death.

Is there any legal expert we can clarify the matter.

Thank you.
http://www.artcom.com/