From:
Elizabeth Walton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Nov 2003 21:44:59 -0500
Here is a web site with some mannequin makers and guidlelines for display.
http://dept.kent.edu/museum/staff/mount.html#Suppliers

I have used many mannequins, and my preferences vary with the period of the
dress. 20th century mannequin shapes will  not fit the shape needed for
19th or 18th century dress without alot of alteration. The Wacoal
mannequins from Japan are wonderful and have three shapes for 18th-19th
century dress, but are expensive, around $2,000 I think. I am not sure
about the others listed, though I have used the flexible ones, and seen
them appear to deteriorate relatively quickly. For smaller pieces, carved
ethafoam, covered in a thin layer of batting and muslin are very nice, as
are supports made with buckram.

I have also found some other sites of interest:
http://www.cac-accr.ca/arg_mann.html     This one will link you to an order
form to a book on mannequins and the issues and solutions.

I hope these help you get started. There really is no simple answer, amybe
some others here will have more suppliers.

Elizabeth Walton
www.clotheslinejournal.com