From:
Carla Cain <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 May 2003 15:04:41 -0700
Good teachers work an average of 60-80 hours a week and most cannot
afford to loaf or go sailing in the Caribbean during the summer--most
work teaching summer school or at summer jobs to make ends meet.
Doctors, lawyers and accountants are paid alot more overall and enjoy
quite a bit more prestige. Young people who want to go into teaching are
often told discouraging things like "What! I'm not paying all that money
for you to go to college just to become a teacher!".  I think that
museum professionals should be paid more as well--most of us that work
in the  public interest are underpaid--but teachers suffer enough slings
and arrows without being beat up on for the tough job they do!

Just my 2 cents...

C.Cain

>>> [log in to unmask] 04/30/03 08:18AM >>>
Although I know teachers, I'm not impressed with their plight.  Most
teachers' salaries exceed that of most museum staff people who have at
least as much education with a far more restricted employment field.
For instance about three years ago in the Denver area (think high rent)
museum directors were being offered starting salaries in the high 30s
low 40s.  In the museum field there's not even the pretext of holiday
vacations (those weeks around New Year's, Thanksgiving and "spring") and
often very limited vacation time and even more limited sick time - which
often does not accrue.  Only in government museums have I been expected
to work only 40 hours a week.  In the private sector, it was anywhere
from 45 to 80 depending upon what was in the fire.

The Museum-L FAQ file is located at
read "help" (without the quotes).