From:
Jane Glaser <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Oct 1994 14:45:00 EDT
I will try to respond to some of your questions about a grad. student
in Arts Adminis. interested in a museum career. Sounds as if she's on
the right track if she's planning on the area of management  in a museum.
Altho I don't know the course content of your arts adminis. program.
Some are geared more to the performing arts. She needs to talk to as
many museum people as possible in different type positions.IF she's not
heading for curatorial work, her master's degree should be adequate for
the time being. That is, unless shemay need some courses in the
discipline of the museum where she may work. That always is a plus!

I suggest she contact Adele Silver at the Cleveland Art Museum to start.
The doctoral program in art history will be very useful if she wants to be
a curator...or maybe a director...depends on the size of the museum.

She could join the AAM (American Assoc. of Museums), the Midwest Museums
Conf., and the Ohio Museums Assoc. If History is a special interest, she
can join the American Assoc. for State and Local History.  For her interest
in the preservation of historic bldgs., she should contact the National
Trust for Historic Preservation. There are graduate programs for that special
interest too.

Her interests bring up many different thoughts...as will appear in my
book, PLANNING MUSEUM CAREERS, to be published early '95. But I will be
happy to help as much as I can in the meantime.  Good luck!