Date:
Mon, 17 Mar 2003 14:51:18 -0500
Hello,

I work in the Automotive Research Library of the National Automobile Museum
in Reno, Nevada.  We charge $25 each for photos of our cars and/or
artifacts.  The cost was derrived from a study of other local museums and
US automobile museum research department fees.  From the study, it was
determined that $25 seems to be the average price for an 8x10.  I always
factor in the time it takes staff to find the photo, determine if its
condition allows it to be taken to an outside photo processor, the actual
reporduction cost for the photo, fuel costs for transport, staff processing
time for mailing, and postage costs.  When all the factors are considered,
the fee seems resonable.  I imagine costs would be cheaper if the process
were handled by a volunteer, but our policy is that only staff handle
artifacts/archival materials when they are outside the museum.