From:
Ross Weeks <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Aug 1998 11:19:29 -0400
Choose your ruts wisely, as the saying goes.   What you undertake this fall
will set both the expectations and the stage for the years to come.

The most successful (if not the best) ideas for fundraisers come from within
the governing board, I've found.  They know the constituency, the competing
demands for available cash, etc. etc.  In fact, "they" should be in charge
and ready to do the work.

If they need to be told what to do, and don't have a clue, then you DO have
a problem.   $100/plate dinners, receptions, picnics, whatever fits the
community, all require help and up-front investment.  You're competing with
the football season, preoccupation with children's activities at school,
etc. etc.

Off-the-top-of-the-head fundraising rarely succeeds in the long run.  It's
people talking with people, and people giving to people, and that requires
the same organizational skills as doing museum programs that work, IMHO.