From:
Gary Acord <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Mar 2002 12:05:52 -0600
well put!  hosting your own server requires intimate knowledge of your
server operating system, mail server software, web hosting software and a
number of other little parts and pieces.  Most web hosting providers average
in the $20 per month range for hosting mail and website services.  Most of
slick, user friendly, web based interfaces for you to maintain things like
email accounts and an assortment of features available to your site.  some
shops offer specials and lower rates (i've received junk mail with offers as
low as $6 per month) and others offer slightly higher rates to add features
like database driven content capabilities (you build it but they make sure
it will work), e-commerce functions like credit card processing and shopping
carts.  al these can often be added and keep your hosting ill under $100
with most companies.  typically having your own high speed connection
(excluding the tiny pipe of DSL here) can run from $400+ just for the wire.
that totally excludes the cost of maintaining the box.

another alternative, if you really want to maintain your own server, is to
look at co-locating services.  many web hosting companies will offer such a
service, where you put your machine at their location and connect it to
their high speed lines.  often they have redundant, bundled lines to prevent
downtime, and all at a cost much less than what you would pay for a single
high speed wire. (for those in the know, high speed here is referring to
frame-relay, T1, T3, and bigger).  I've seen services like this offered in
the $200 range.  sometimes, they can also provide the machine and basic
software as well as configuration assistance (at a price of course.)

my vote? i always recommend my clients to go use a web host provider.

Cheers,
Gary Acord