From:
Ginny Cass <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 31 Oct 1997 10:55:51 -0800
Henry B. Crawford wrote:

> Friends,
>
> I have an undergraduate student volunteer who is doing a paper on the issue
> of admission charges for government (city, county, state, or fed.) museums.
> I have directed him toward all the printed literature I could think of (he
> found some information in _Curator_ on his own), but he needs opinions from
> the field.  This issue pops up once in a while on M.-L, so I thought I'd
> throw it out there again for his benefit.  He's looking for informed
> opinions, possible literature citations, interesting conference sessions
> attended, etc.  He is leaning toward admission charges as a positive thing,
> but wants to state good cases for both admission charges as well as free
> admission.  He is interviewing some people here, but opinions from other
> museum people are an important part of his information gathering.  Please
> reply.
>
> Cheers,
> HBC

> Henry B. Crawford        Curator of History
> [log in to unmask]     Museum of Texas Tech University
> 806/742-2442           Box 43191
> FAX 742-1136             Lubbock, TX  79409-3191
>                WEBSITE: http://www.ttu.edu/~museum
> **********    "Living History Rocks!!"    **********

I would be extremely interested in hearing more about this project.

Our organization is wrestling with these kinds of issues at the moment.
We have twelve units in seven buildings on one block (you might liken
this to seven houses in a row in a regional park - there are few other
buildings nearby, almost all of them with public offices, e.g. gov't -
and they are all on the National Register) that we expect to place
museums in.  You might call it a museum mall.  We are interested in
knowing how admissions will affect the museums, the management of the
property, what the interaction might look like if some museums charge
admission and others don't.  So it is of particular interest to us to
know how admission fees work in a multiple-museum setting.

Our property is located just a block from the county historical museum,
which has recently instituted an admission policy because of tightening
county budgets.  The interaction of our (potential, private) museums and
the existing county museum is important to us as well.

We are planning to open our first building in the beginning of 1998,
with up to three private collections in the seven bedroom home.  These
three collections will operate as separate "museums" and at least one of
them is planning to charge admission.

I would be pleased to correspond with the student doing this research,
via list, back channel or snail mail.  Thanks.

~o~o~o~o~o~o~o~o~o~o~o~o~o~

Ginny Cass
President, Board of Directors
Northern Rockies Heritage Center