From:
Melissa Rosengard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Oct 2002 15:02:34 -0500
CALL FOR SESSION PROPOSALS

The Western Museums Association & British Columbia Museums Association are
holding a joint annual meeting in Reno, Nevada, October 19-23,2003. All
museum professionals interested in participating in this conference are
encouraged to submit a session proposal by the deadline, Friday, November
1. RFP forms are available at http://www.westmuse.org/reno_RFP.htm

This meeting follows up a very memorable meeting that our two organizations
held in Victoria, BC in 2000. Our program committee chairs for the 2003
meeting are Evangeline Tai, Curator of Education, Napa Valley Museum, and
Bill Barkley, consultant and former Executive Director of the Royal British
Columbia Museum. Our host committee chairs are Steven High, Director,
Nevada Museum of Art, and Jackie Frady, Director, National Automobile
Museum.

The WMA and BCMA are very excited about the Reno location for several
reasons: (1) the spectacular new Nevada Museum of Art will have opened its
doors to the public just prior to our meeting; (2) there are a number of
other wonderful museums in the area including the National Automobile
Museum, the Nevada Historical Society, the Wilbur D. May Museum, the Nevada
State Museum, the Nevada State Railroad Museum, the Children's Museum of
Northern Nevada, the Carson Valley Museum and Cultural Center (3) the
accommodations and food are very inexpensive in Reno -- our discounted
meeting room rate at the "tastefully trendy" Eldorado Hotel is only $89.00
per night (plus tax) single or double, and the hotel features one of the
top 10 Italian restaurants in the nation, La Strada -- the Wine Spectator
has also given the restaurant it's "Award of Excellence" for the last six
years-- and afterwards you can relax in the Bubinga Lounge -- that's
comfortable accommodation!; (4) the high desert landscape in and around the
area near Lake Tahoe is some of the most sublime scenery you'll find in the
US.

So, if you or a colleague have an idea for a session, please let us know by
submitting the RFP form. There are just four days left to brainstorm...

Melissa Rosengard
Executive Director
Western Museums Association
655 - Thirteenth Street, Suite 301