From:
Paul Koenig <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Jun 2008 12:49:25 -0700
I agree that the bottles should be relatively stable and sturdy--they
were designed to be packed moved, and stored. I'd worry about them far
less than moving vacuum tubes. The only added risk of keeping them
full is that, if a bottle breaks, the spill can cause additional
damage. That should be fairly easy to mitigate. The cork will probably
degrade at some point, but that is a concern for later years.

That said, if you do choose to open them, do so as cool as possible
and at a 45 degree angle. I'm assuming these are mostly commemorative
bottles and the research value is mostly in the custom label and the
clues about cost and quality of the champagne. I'm also assuming a
desire to maintain as much of the appearance for possible exhibit use.
My first choice would be to use an X-Acto knife to cut the foil in a
ring below the wire and then cut along the back side of the cork and
wire so that you have an undisturbed side that can be replaced for
display. Use wire cutters or tin snips to open up the wire from the
back. At this point, open "normally." That should allow future exhibit
teams to present a good face with minimal signs of damage.

With drilling, you'd want a thin hole through the cork to relieve
pressure and then a larger hole in the bottom to drain and clean the
bottle interior. That seems too much risk for too little benefit.
Drilling into glass with the contents under pressure risks shattering
while the cork is relatively elastic. I wouldn't even get near this
approach without a face shield and gloves, wrapping and padding the
bottle, a sturdy long-sleeved shirt, and an experimental run with
bottles not in the collection.

- Paul
(realizing that working in a science museum long enough attunes you to
the phrase "risking a sudden explosion")