From:
"Meredith L. Dunham" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 11 Nov 2006 12:53:01 -0500
Hi Pam,

Even if the shrews do take care of the mice, they have to live somewhere in the meantime.  This means they'll create nests, probably similar to mice nests, and they'll leave waste in your buildings.  And they'll attract other pests (fleas, insects, etc.).  I know many museums use sticky traps for insects, and I'm sure you could probably find other alternatives for the mice and the shrews themselves.

I really wouldn't leave the shrews to themselves. They can cause as much damage as the mice, especially if you leave them to their own devices.

Meredith Dunham
Curatorial Assistant.

Virginia Beach Historic Houses
3131 Virginia Beach Blvd.