From:
Susan Farrell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Feb 1994 14:37:34 +0300
>We are about to digitize images of works of art to create a computer
>imagebase for use on Macintosh computers.

General advice:

- buy some extra RAM

- use a Quadra 650, 800, 950 if possible, because they are fast and have
less hardware-compatibility issues than the new AVs.

- if you don't have someone who is good at scanning, a high-res scanner,
and decent software (PhotoShop, e.g.), you'll save time and money by having
someone else do it.

- the Canon digital camera (>$1000) worked well for a friend of mine, but
only if you want screen images, not high-quality print images.

>What about Kodak Photo-CD as an alternative to in-house digitizing?

I used a service bureau recently for just this purpose. They turned 35mm
slides into CD-ROMs. It cost us ninety cents per image, plus a few bucks
for the disks, and they put ~100 images on each CD. We got 5 resolutions of
each image, several of which were higher quality than we could have
produced in-house, given file-size issues and scanning resolutions. Also,
the disks came with thumbnails of each photo, numbered for indexing and
retrieval ease.

If you want to store high-quality digital images on a hard drive, you'll
need a huge one (or more), plus an image database of some kind. Aldus Fetch
and Cumulus are two of the more popular programs. Remember that 24-bit
color images are roughly twice the storage size of 16-bit, which are twice
the storage size of 8-bit images. 24-bit images are resolved at better than
the eye can perceive, 16-bit are good but not as good as the eye, 8-bit is
abysmal.

>I'd also welcome advice about how to deal with copyright issues with
>digital images.

Hire a good lawyer experienced in copyright law, or create all your own
materials.

just my opinions, hope this helps.

Susan