Date:
Thu, 24 Feb 2005 23:01:14 -0500
A few points of clarification:

There are two types of photographic film emulsion that are widely
(commercially) available today. Traditional monochrome films use silver
bromide as the light-sensitive component. Chromogenic emulsion films
use color dyes in addition to silver bromide to produce the image on
the film - the silver being removed during processing and leaving only
the dyes. This process is used for typical color films as well as come
monochrome films such as Ilford XP 2 and Kodak BW400CN.

The fixed silver in the traditional process is very long-lived, and
assuming that the substrate and binders are durable and well cared for,
the images, as already noted, can last many decades.

The chromogenic images are less secure; color prints and transparencies
fade.

Film R&D has resulted in various improvements to the emulsion layers of
these films as well as the substrates over the intervening years, and
current color films may last longer than earlier emulsions.

There are several qualitative differences between silver halide
emulsion recording and the recoding method used to create digital
images, including this important media distinction.

But a silver halide image is not the same construct as a series of
pixels on a video display screen. Photons trigger a reaction that
changes (some of the) silver ions present in the molecules to elemental
silver, and through further chemical processing, this molecular silver
becomes the image you see. The final silver arrangement is not uniform
in size or shape or evenly distributed across the surface of the film
or paper.

There is much more uniformity to chromogenic dye images, which is why
some of these films are capable of greater enlargement than a similar
speed silver emulsion. The three dye layers overlap each other, which
is analogous to the concept of 'dithering' in digital imaging.

Digital images are by definition uniform, as a grid of pixels displayed
on screen or as bits described by a JPEG or TIFF file format, whereas
ink-jet output approximates the dye-layer model. Many digital cameras
record at a resolution well below the resolution of traditional
photographic film, but even 2400 dpi is low comparatively.

As already noted, digital graphic files have other limitations,
especially in regard to storage media, which obviously has undergone
many big changes since the first ~28" diameter disk drives or 1/2 inch
high density magnetic tapes.

Of course, 'real programmers' use COBOL and punch cards (not).

-L.D.