From:
John Martinson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Sep 1996 18:28:00 PDT
One more question on ethics.  I am doing a paper on the subject,
and appreciate any help on my earlier question and this one.  I'm
trying to create some interesting cases.

Artifacts:  An artifact is given to the museum, with the proper
Deed of Gift, etc., signed.  Later, a daughter of the women
who gave the item came through the museum and notices the
item on display.  She becomes very upset, that it was an
item that was promised to her by her mother (who gave the
item to the museum).

Should the museum return the item to the women?

Situation:  Let me add, if the museum already has items of
like in the collection, and the donor is a good volunteer.
She is very upset about not having the dress returned, and can
cause contention in the community.  The daughter wants to
wear the dress at her wedding and keep it in the family.

Should the dress still be returned, or should the dress be
kept?  Is it an ethical question?

I was thinking, maybe it could be loaned back to her?  Or
simply deassession the dress.  But, this presents, as I plan
another problem -- what would other donors think? "Could I
also get my valuable item(s) back I donated earlier, since
and heard they were more valuable than expected?"

Thanks for any input.

John Martinson
755 Myra Rd
Walla Walla, WA  99364