From:
Linda Tanaka <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Jan 1995 21:12:00 PST
Is anyone out there using Filemaker Pro for a database?
I would like to know if a look-up field can look up more than one alternate
catalogue number and can the database be searched on those individual numbers?
Or can you tell me how to solve the following problem:
some of our objects are marked on three or four sides with different
numbers, depending on what system was in place at the time of cataloguing,
over the years people have not removed the old numbers. Sometimes these
numbers are in awkward, invisible places. I would like to have a database
that we can call out all the numbers we can see and when entered into a
program will be hooked to one record, like the current catalogue number
style, the prime search number, then, a look up file that links to that
number. But it must have more than one look up box and be searchable on all
those boxes because next time we may not see all the numbers and call out
one that is in the lookup boxes. So the look-up boxes must be searchable and
linked back to the prime number. Does anyone understand what on earth I am
trying to say. Someone who uses Filemaker Pro will get the picture. I know
we have talkd at length about collections management software but Filemaker
is easy and very user friendly. It will be used for daily inventory and then
uploaded to the national databases, so at this time, I don't need a mega
program.
Thanks for thinking about this. Answers to whichever, email or list,
whatever you like.

Linda Tanaka
Vancouver Museum        British Columbia  Canada