From:
Guy Hermann <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 20 Nov 1999 18:31:43 -0500
In my experience, the facility manager is frequently the most reviled
person at the museum.  There is never enough money to go around for
all of the worthwhile projects, especially for facilities, so things
go undone.  Then everyone blames the facility manager.  A thick skin
and lots of creativity would be real assets.

>One's happy professional life seems determined by an odd balance between
>desire, obligation, proficiency, and compensation -- what one wants to do;
>what one feels they should be doing; what one is circumstantially capable of
>doing; and what one receives for doing it (fiscal benefit, self-esteem , etc.)
>
>That said, could anyone suggest how an architecture-trained facilities
>professional currently working for a multi-national corporation might try to
>break into the "museum facilities management" business?  What are the
>drawbacks of the profession, besides fiscal compensation?
>
>Years ago, I studied architecture at the Cooper Union in New York City.
>Fairly soon after graduation, for lack of the poetic wherewithal to defend my
>actions any differently, I backed into facilities management "when money got
>tight."
>
>Seven years later, I now live in Washington DC and I'm trying to somehow
>bring my professional existence more closely in tune with personal interests
>that have been uncomfortabley relegated to "pursuits outside the office".
>
>Museum facilities management seems to offer the "happy professional life" I
>seek -- somewhat of an architecture and facilities management hybrid that
>combines the architect's appreciation for the arts and sciences with the
>facility manager's knack for problem solving and project management.  (What
>the institution of the museum offers to our collective societal heritage, and
>the pride one might gain from associating one's self with such an honorable
>task, goes without saying in this particular email.)
>
>Any ideas?  All responses are most certainly welcome.
>
>Regards,
>
>Kees Stahl
>Assistant Vice President, Facilities Coordinator
>Citigroup Global Technology Infrastructure

>Important Subscriber Information:
>
>The Museum-L FAQ file is located at
>http://www.finalchapter.com/museum-l-faq/ museum-l.html. You may
>obtain detailed information about the listserv commands by sending a
>one line e-mail message to [log in to unmask] The body of
>the message should read "help" (without the quotes).

>[log in to unmask] The body of the message should read "Signoff
>Museum-L" (without the quotes).

Guy Hermann
Home: 860-536-2994
EVJAI Office: 617-437-6262
Cell phone: 617-821-3255 (with voice mail)

Museum-L" (without the quotes).