From:
ken lavender <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Oct 2003 12:06:26 -0700
Dear Colleagues--

I have begun research into the problems and solutions
for e-mail reference services for special collections
in libraries.  General library research into e-mail
reference centers on classification and triage
schemes, often ending in some kind of automated
system, such as the AskA software.  These are
inappropriate and ineffective for special collections
because they do not address unique materials or the
emphasis on the physical apsect; they are concerned
only with finding an answer from any source.  After
having been bombarded with a bewildering array of
reference requests, it occurred to me that museums
share many collection traits with special collections
departments (e.g., unique sources, visual images,
artifact/archive material, exhibitions, loans).  I
thus make bold to ask if any of you have investigated
ways of handling e-mail reference questions through
some kind of classification scheme (e.g., particular
artist, period, format) or through an in-house triage
system?  I would truly appreciate any ideas on this
ever-increasing problem.

Sincerely

Ken Lavender
Curator of Rare Books and Printed Materials
Special Collections Research Center
Syracuse University Library