From:
Hildegard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Apr 1996 17:28:40 -0500
What *is* the difference between an exhibit and an exhibition?

I have always thought (and had it firmly engrained in my education) that an
"art" museum has exhibitions, and exhibit implies a historical, natural
history, material culture, etc. museum.

Now, when I hear the word exhibit being used to refer to contemporary art,
I cringe.  Trouble is, I've recently changed jobs and everyone on the staff
of my present museum uses the word exhibit in just such a way.

Any thoughts on the current wisdom, or this all neither here nor there, and
just an elitist assumption on the part of "art" museologists?

Barbra Brady, Curator
Art Museum of Missoula

Babs Brady