From:
Alexandra <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Apr 2007 14:31:31 -0400
Hi Lynn:

Usually, a contract would include the rights information; I always include
it in drafts for clients.  Simply state that the work is 'work for hire' and
thus the rights belong to the client.  In your case, the diary
transcriptions now are not the issue but the diaries are.  You would have
had to protect both in your contract.  You'll have to rely on someone else
about the diaries but I think they're in the public domain.

If you give permission to publish the transcripts, you are crossing no
ethical boundaries but the consultants are taking advantage of you not
having protected yourselves.  Which isn't unethical either, especially since
they have asked you for permission to publish.  If they had not asked
permission, it would have raised my hackles in terms of morals.

Assuming from your question that your contract did not include a statement
on rights, you might now think of this as a great opportunity to put out the
word on your institution by requiring certain things of the consultants.
Citing the institution in any public venue [lectures, signings, the
publication, articles, etc. etc.], giving a long and specific paragraph
crediting the institution, taking a percentage of the profit [for which
there probably will be little], charging a fee to publish, and so on.

Best wishes,
Alexandra

Alexandra W. Rollins
Nonprofit and Arts Management