From:
Brenda Weatherston <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Nov 2000 14:04:02 -0800
MAKING MUSEUMS MATTER
February 22-24, 2001 with Stephen E. Weil

offered through the Cultural Resource Management Program, University of
Victoria
-----------------

"If our museums are not being operated with the ultimate goal of improving
the quality of people's lives, on what [other] basis might we possibly ask
for public support?"

Museums have made great strides in their ability to cope in increasingly
complex and competitive environments. While such adaptation may be a key to
survival, ensuring that your museum matters is the key to success.

This symposium challenges you to identify, perhaps to rethink, the
fundamental purpose of your museum. Stephen Weil, one of North America's
preeminent museum thinkers, provides a framework in which you work with
other museum leaders and with museum trustees to:

>> distill the unique and defining purpose(s) of your museum
>> clarify the relationship of the museum's resources and operations (means)
with desired outcomes (ends)
>> identify challenges facing museums as "social enterprises"
>> define measures of intermediate and ultimate success
>> avoid the danger that means may become ends in themselves

Facilitator: Stephen Weil is the Emeritus Senior Scholar with the Center for
Education and Museum Studies at the Smithsonian Institution

Dates: February 22 - 24
Please register by: January 29
Fee: $340 Cdn funds (non-credit only)
Travel: Victoria is easily accessible from Seattle and Vancouver

Accommodation: Program staff are pleased to provide information on local
B&B, hotel, and on-campus options  -- some options as low as $25 CAD/night!

For more information, please contact:

Joy Davis, Program Director
Brenda Weatherston, Program Coordinator
Cultural Resource Management Program
Continuing Studies, University of Victoria
PO Box 3030 STN CSC  Victoria BC Canada V8W 3N6
Tel: 250 721-8462  Fax: 250 721-8774
Email: [log in to unmask]
Visit our Web site! http://www.uvcs.uvic.ca/crmp
To receive monthly email updates, contact [log in to unmask]