From:
Tracie Evans <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Jan 2008 22:25:46 -0600
Beau,
We definitely use receipts.

We use a standard receipt form for everything (donations, loans, temporary
holdings, etc) that comes or leaves the museum.  This form essentially
states that the object was delivered or picked up from the museum and the
person dropping off or picking up is the legal owner or is acting on behalf
of the owner. (We do require in writing notification from the owner if they
are sending a representative).  This form in not the loan agreement or a
deed of gift.

We use receipts for several reasons.  These include the fact that many items
are not brought to the museum by the legal owner, if gives us immediate
tracking of the object not matter its outcome (loan, gift, rejected, etc.),
allows us to create a form both away and at the office that is handwritten
and not the final form which are all typed, always other staff to work on
behalf when I'm not there, and all loan agreements and deeds of gift must be
signed by the Director who is not always there.  for the museum must to
signed by the Director and sometimes the City Manager who is often not at
the meeting with the donor/lender or agent.  I also often prefer to have the
time to type up the deed of gift/loan agreements when the donor/lender/agent
is not looking over my shoulder.

Also, the receipt form indicates the intention of the lender/donor at the
time they come into the museum.  If for any reason, a loan agreement or deed
of gift is not completed then that gives museum a legal leg to stand off if
we need it.

In the case of loans that are terminated, we have a special return receipt
that we use.  This form written by legal acknowledges the condition of the
object at the time of pickup, immediately waives our liability and transfers
possession back to the legal owner.

I personally prefer this method to writing on our loan agreement when they
are returned. If you write on the loan agreement, you usually only have one
copy and must photocopy the original document to give to the lender since
you need a copy with both legal signatures on it.  (not a photocopy)
Additionally, it allows us a way to deal with unusual circumstances.

In all cases, we create two (or more copies if needed) of receipts, deeds of
gifts, loan agreements, return receipts so that we and the
donor/lender/agent gets a copy at the time the object comes into the museum
or leaves the museum.

If you have any questions please feel free to contact me.

Sincerely,
Tracie Evans
Collections Manager
Texas Ranger Hall of Fame and Museum