From:
"Panza, Robin" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 31 Jan 2001 11:05:46 -0500
>>>From: Christopher Dill [mailto:[log in to unmask]]

 While it is only a personal opinion, I don't think that collections areas
tours are, generally, good for the artifacts or very instructive to the
visitor since there is relatively little interpretation possible.<<<

I have to disagree with this (ok, my personal opinion).  One of the things
we address in collection tours is "why do you have so many?"  We discuss
statistical samples; the difference between, say, books (all copies the
same) and organisms (every one unique); Gallup and other kinds of polls
(different age, gender, socioeconomic/geographic classes).  I feel it's very
important to educate the public about this, because it is a basic issue to
"why do you want to collect/kill more animals?"

In addition to that, the vast majority of the public don't even know that
specimens are kept for research purposes--they think either that all the
material is on exhibit or that whatever's not on exhibit is merely "spare"
material for replacing what's on exhibit.  Time and time again people walk
away from a tour with a new wonder and understanding of what a (natural
history) museum is all about.  I think this is crucial to our survival in
this time of budget crunches.  We need to make the public aware of *all* the
ways museums are important, and behind-the-scenes tours are a valuable tool
for accomplishing this.

Robin

Robin K Panza                         [log in to unmask]
Collection Manager, Section of Birds          ph:  412-622-3255
Carnegie Museum of Natural History       fax: 412-622-8837
4400 Forbes Ave.
Pittsburgh  PA  15213-4008  USA