From:
Vincent Lyon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Sep 2000 08:25:52 -0700
For a more interesting solution, you could make felt.
It is actually very simple and you can make it as thick or thin as you want.
It should only take about an hour to make enough, and you could use
dye-free material, which ought
to be better for your project.
If you are interested, contact me off list and I will get you instructions.

Vincent

At 07:46 AM 9/29/2000 -0700, you wrote:
>Hi, folks.  Hope you can help with this:
>I am looking for a felt like material in thickness of 1/4 to 3/8 inch,
>preferaably both, but the 1/4 is critical.  I need the material for spacers
>between the vertebrae in a skeleton of a dolphin I am mounting for one of
>our exhibits.  I remember a material I used years ago, which was felt-like,
>gray in overall color, and looked like it was made from pressed threads.
>I've tried every other material I can get.  Urethane flexible foam is too
>compressable, closed cell foam has no resiliancy (it just squishes perfectly
>flat).  I have tried every fabric, arts and crafts and hardware supplier I
>can find.  If you or any of your exhibits people know of such a material, I
>should be eternally grateful to learn about it.
>
>Thanks so much for any help you can provide!
>
>Richard White, Curator
>International Wildlife Museum

>Important Subscriber Information:
>
>The Museum-L FAQ file is located at
>message to [log in to unmask] . The body of the message should
>read "help" (without the quotes).

>[log in to unmask] . The body of the message should read
>"Signoff Museum-L" (without the quotes).

"Outside of a dog, man's best friend is a book.  Inside of a dog it's too
dark to read."  -Groucho Marx