From:
Lucy Sperlin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Feb 2003 23:29:07 -0800
Brent and Janice have both articulately stated what may be the two
legitimate sides to this story: either the director is legitimately
trying to focus the museum's mission, or he is not using appropriate
process(es) to approve large scale deaccessioning. Either way, it has
created a perceived problem, which, in the best case scenario, has
arisen from lack of appropriate process structure.

I have to back up Brent's conclusion that it is a systemic problem. It
is, in my opinion, one that is particular to University Museums. In the
University Museum I worked for, my predecessor had unethically and/or
illegally deaccessioned hundreds of items, having received approval from
a University  Committee to whom she had portrayed the items to be
deaccessioned as duplicates and "junk". In fact, part of it (a small
part) was about one half of a very large collection of Native American
Basketry that was sold for amounts recorded on a sheet I found as from
$10 to $30 per basket. This was about 25 years ago, but that was still
absurdly low. Also vanished were firearms, archaeological materials,
pianos, and hundreds of other items.  It took at least a decade to begin
to recover credibility and trust in the eyes of the public.

Some years later, at the same University, the museum, (another "noble
little museum housing cultural treasures") with a 60,000 item collection
dating back almost 100 years, was summarily closed (reasons both stated
and political are too involved to go into here), and the University is
still living with the adverse consequences. They'll likely spend as much
or more mopping up the mess than they would have to keep the museum
open.

It seems to me that few University administrators understand the concept
of public trust where their museums are concerned. Boards of Regents are
so far removed that they, also, don't realize any trust responsibilities
in regards to the museums. Also, the Regents will usually fully back the
administration in such a matter, seeing it as internal to the
university. There is also the fact that in the eyes of many within the
University system, the collection is simply 'state property' to be dealt
with like worn out typewriters and file cabinets. I suspect that they
also very much underestimate the negative consequences of such actions,
perhaps partly because they aren't used to having to worry about public
opinion regarding their disposal of "surplus" property.

I don't know the answer to the problem, but I believe it exists and the
Austin case is not an isolated incident. I have heard of several other
similar cases.  Perhaps as enough of these incidents reach problem
proportions, the issue will be begin to be addressed at gatherings of
administrators in higher education and some education about museums and
public trust can be undertaken. It is in that hope that I even air my
former institution's "dirty laundry". If no one talks about it, each
incident will appear as an isolated anomaly and nothing will change.

Lucy Sperlin