From:
Indigo Nights <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Aug 2005 06:30:56 -0700
As many of you know, for 3-1/2 years, I've been
providing job leads to the folks on MuseJobs.  In
order to get them, I have a series of sites where I
have searches saved, and each day, the sites provide
me the leads.

One of my frustrations in that regard is that I have
to go through and cull the information from the search
results (though I do provide the groups jobs with
transferrable job skills because there aren't enough
museum jobs, and folks need to work to pay down debt
and to live).  One of the problems I see is that MANY
of the nonmuseum type results I get are from
for-profit corporations that, in trying to entice
folks to apply for jobs, are advertising their
proximity to museums.  I have 10 searches set up for
http://www.ajb.org , with up to 200 results for each
search, and there are countless ones where hospitals
and other types of organizations show up because they
stick the words museum, aquarium, library, etc., in
there.

So, as I'm going through the searches this morning and
thinking of the Dorothy comments, I'm thinking that,
if they're advertising that they have you in their
backyard, it would seem to me that they may be the
first you want to approach about saving you and the
jobs.  If they're being enriched because you are there
while you are struggling, why not try to bring them
into your pocket and perhaps to get them to post ads
on your behalf?  You'll have to get creative about
this, but you could encourage them to be good stewards
in the community from which the corporations are
economically profiting.

I see this on other searches as well.
http://www.careerbuilder.com , where I have 5
preprogrammed searches, often mixes museums in there
for the same reason.  They use the same keyword I'm
seeking but produce much different results.

My suggestion would be that you query on the keywords
yourself in the area you seek (AJB.org certainly has
this capability) and see who is using you such that
you can tell them to put their money where their mouth is.

Indigo Nights