Date:
Tue, 15 Jan 2008 07:36:57 -0800
Just a little background on why the contractor laws.
One of the big tech firms (I forget which but want to
say it was either Microsoft or Big Blue) relied very
heavily on consultants/contractors.  They figured it
was cheaper because they didn't have to give the same
benefits as regular employees.  They had them on the
de facto payroll for an extended period of time and
worked them countless hours.

The contractors then sued and said they were having to
perform as employees without the benefits seeking to
gain them--and prevailed.  So there are some pretty
specific limits as to how long an employee can work
without being treated the same as a regular employee,
and employers would be wise to investigate lest they
wind up with a similar situation.

In the company for which I work, a contractor can now
only work for a limited period of time (1 year I
believe).  They then must leave and cannot return for
at least 6 months.

One way we have somewhat gotten around this is by
having employee contractors.  A one-year
agreement--that can be renewed is struck between the
contractor and the company.  Instead of being third
parties working technically for someone other than the
company and being, in effect, sublet to our company,
they actually work for us.  But, they agree to take
lesser benefits.  They get some vacation time, but may
not get sick time or retirement.  It becomes rather
complicated.

I encourage each person faced with a hiring decision
to consult with their HR rep and, if they don't have
one or cannot afford one, check with their board
members to see if they can drum up someone in a
for-profit corporation to which the board member may
be tied and see if they can give some sort of pro bono
consultation.

Employment law is very complicated.

If all else fails, you may wish to use
http://www.findlaw.com/01topics/27labor/index.html