From:
Adriaan Linters <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Aug 1997 22:13:26 -0700
Castellani Art Museum wrote:

> On the subject of food, does anyone know of other exhibitions specific
> to food, its history, science, art, etc during the last 10-20 years or
> so and where they were held? (We had one in 94 at the Castellani called
> Consuming Passions.) Is there a museum devoted to food?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Elizabeth Licata
> Castellani Art Museum
> Niagara University

Try the 'Alimentarium' (Musée de l'Alimentation - Food Museum), in
Vevey, Switzerland. The first exhibitions already took place in 1978,
the museum itself was opened on June 21st 1985. It informs visitors
about past and present problems connected with food and nourishment. It
deals in a lively and dynamic way with scientific, ethnological and
historical aspects of food, and its regularly has temporary exhibitions.
It originally was set up by the Nestle company, but don't know what the
actual links with this company are.

I don't have the address nor an e-mail address, but Vevey is not such a
large town and I suppose any letter just sent to 'the Alimentarium,
Musée de l'Alimentation, Vevey' will arrive at the right place.

Greetings !

Adriaan Linters
chairman 'Vlaamse Vereniging voor Industriële Archeologie'
(=Flemish Association for Industrial Arcahaeology)
private: Vredelaan 72
         B-8500 Kortrijk
         Flanders-Belgium
         tel. (+32)56/253373