From:
Suzanne Reed <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Jun 2013 10:41:25 -0700
The real heart of the issue is that legally speaking an unpaid
insternship is supposed to be solely for the benefit of the student and
like Marc said is a contribution by the employer to the field.

If your intern is doing ANY work that benefits your organization and is
not created solely for their educational benefit then it is illegal to
pay them. Which means yes they should be trained and your return is
meant to be minimal.

This article deals with the judges ruling on the matter of unpaid
interns who worked on the film "Black Swan'

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2013/06/13/unpaid-internships-on-black-swan-violated-the-law-so-are-they-dead.html

Bottom line interns are not meant to be unpaid employees, they are
being trained and institutions are meant to do this to benefit the
field.

I suspect that more court cases will follow as more institutions take
advantage of what they view as free labor.

And yes sadly the way our field is set up many cannot get full-time
employment without interning and if you need to work to live or have a
family that is a near impossibility. Which means that only those who are
wealthy enough to not have to work can afford to get gainful employment?
Consider where this will lead us.

---
Suzanne Reed