From:
"Arthur H. Harris" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Mar 2000 13:33:00 -0700
Those of you who have had little first-hand contact with
"scientific" creationists might
take a look at the links under "Special Item--Anatomy of an Attack
on Science" on the LEB home page at <http://www.utep.edu/leb>.

Behe basically presents the old argument from design and, as common
with pseudoscience, presents no testable hypotheses (if someone
shows how one of his examples could occur through evolutionary
mechanisms, all he needs do is dredge up another example and explain
that perhaps he was wrong on THAT one, but here is something that
couldn't occur through evolution).  The mode of most
anti-evolutionists is to attack evolution without supplying
*scientific* alternatives, apparently on the proposition that there
are only two choices, evolution and their true one.

I have no particular difficulty with anyone clearly stating that
they are rejecting evolution for religious reasons, but a great deal
of difficulty with those who claim that science disproves evolution.

James Tichgelaar wrote:
>No one in the scientific community accepts Darwin as gospel, but as the
> starting point of a line of inquiry that has been refined by the work of
> countless dedicated scientists in the intervening years.  Where debate
> exists today in scientific circles, it is about the pace and mechanisms
> of evolutionary change, but the evidence for evolutionary change is
> overwhelming.
>
> For more on Darwin's Black Box, check out
> http://www.cbs.dtu.dk/dave/Behe_links.html

Art Harris
--
Laboratory for Environmental Biology, Centennial Museum
University of Texas at El Paso, El Paso, TX  79968-0915