From:
Elizabeth Watkins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 31 Mar 1999 10:23:54 -0800
As someone who has been on the job hunt for over a year (while finishing a Master's,
moving, and taking another full-time job completely out of the field to pay the
bills), I feel that  this issue needs to be brought up in relation to Mr. Koos's
point: how are you supposed to get enough experience to get a job if no one will give
you a chance to get the experience? Please don't remind me again to volunteer or do
interenships; I have done plenty of both and found them all very rewarding. What I
silently wonder about is, when are employers going to find my non-paid experience
valuable?

It is completely understandable that those who do the hiring want people with
experience, and also that not all academic training is as useful day-to-day as is
hands-on experience -- but somewhere, somebody has to take a chance on those of us
who have less hands-on experience but do have years of "minds-on" experience gained
through relevant courses, research, discussions, projects, etc. I realize I may not
be exaclty what the employer wants, but please consider giving me a chance to show
that I can learn to be what you want by building off of the variety of experience I
have.

Just a note from the frustrated folks
E. Watkins
Master of Museum Studies, University of Toronto