From:
Tracie Evans <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Nov 2007 14:19:53 -0600
Jessica,
I have to disagree as the collections manager for a museum with a large
firearms collection.  We do not recommend oiling firearms.  Oiling a
firearm is intended to lubricate the metal parts so that the items can
fire smoothly and without wear to its various working mechanisms.
Therefore, oiling a historic item that is stored or displayed is not
necessary. In addition, all oils can cause problems by being absorbed
into the non-metal parts, gather and hold dust, and breakdown over time
into a gummy, sticky residues which causes all kinds of other problems.

We keep our firearms clean, dry, and in a stable environment and have no
issues with rusting or corroding. (unless the item was compromised
before coming to the museum and then we consult a conservator as needed)
If for some reason, you determine that you must "oil your firearms"
check with a conservator to determine the most appropriate oils to use.
Just because it says "Gun Oil" does not mean it is good for the firearm.
All oils have different properties and most do more harm then good.  In
addition, unless you know what you are doing, you shouldn't be
"disassembling" your firearms so that you can oil only the working parts
as you can damage or loss the small springs and other internal parts.

Tracie Evans
Collections Manager
Texas Ranger Hall of Fame and Museum
PO Box 2570, Waco, TX 76706