From:
Leonard Will <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Sep 1999 12:52:49 +0100
In article <[log in to unmask]>, on Tue, 28 Sep 1999 at 00:16:10,
David Formanek <URL: mailto:[log in to unmask]> writes
>In a message dated 9/27/99 1:50:40 PM, [log in to unmask] writes:
>
>>Why are standards not used? What problems do museums have in adopting
>>standards, guidelines and codes of practice?
>
>I am not a religious man, but I am praying that this is not a proposal to
>unleash ISO certification into the altogether different world of museums.
>Minor increased industrial "efficiency" at the cost of human interactions is
>a false economy.

I was certainly not thinking specifically of ISO 9000 quality standards
certification, which I presume you are referring to - though many ISO
standards are applicable to museums - have a look at the list on their
site at <http://www.iso.ch/>

I was also thinking of standards and guidelines for terminology, data
models, procedures, access, preservation and storage, documentation,
collecting and disposal policies, and so on.

Most standards are voluntary, developed by our fellow professionals to
encapsulate good practice for the benefit of all. But there is a
perception in some areas that they are imposed, restrictive or
inapplicable. I am interested to know the extent to which these
perceptions are valid. If the objections are significant, should
standards be changed or just explained and publicised more?

Leonard Will
--
Willpower Information        (Partners: Dr Leonard D Will, Sheena E Will)
Information Management Consultants               Tel: +44 (0)20 8372 0092

Museum-L" (without the quotes).