From:
Timothy McShane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Aug 2002 10:49:20 -0600
I have to agree with you, too.  I've done a lot of scanning of photos,
slides and negatives for exhibit and reference purposes, but would never
consider accessioning the print-out of such a scan (rather, I print the
accession number of the original image on the back, followed by "copy"
to avoid future confusion).  I'd treat proper photographic copies the
same way.

Although your director might be correct in saying that most
photographic prints these days are copies of negatives (although this
wasn't always the case!  Show me the negative a tin type print was made
from!), the fabric of an original photo print is an important part of
its artifact value, too.  I've been able to match-up series of photos
taken at the same time and place that have been mixed up in large photo
donations by the size, type of paper, and any markings on the backs of
prints.  It's also possible to identify a date the original print was
made based on paper types, or by date stamps.  Not always the best
indicator of the date of the image, I know--(I've got some film in my
camera that's been there about a year!), but at least it provides a
cut-off date for when the image has been made.  You just can't get this
kind of information by making a new print on modern paper from an old
negative, so the artifactual value of the new print is practically nil.
Research and archival value, yes--so maintain the new prints in a
research file, but don't accession them.

Tim McShane, Assistant--Cultural History
Medicine Hat Museum and Art Gallery
1302 Bomford Crescent S.W.
Medicine Hat, AB   T1A 5E6
(403) 502-8587

>>> [log in to unmask] 08/15/02 09:36AM >>>
Hello all,

First I would like to thank everyone for all of their help with some
questions about textiles that I had a couple of weeks ago.

I hope you all will be nice enough to help me out again with another
question...

There is a debate occurring between the director of my institution and
myself.  By the way, the director had previously held the position that
I am
now in and had a part in what I believe to be the issue.

That said, the museum's collection contains many photographic
negatives.  In
the past, print copies of those negatives had been made for use in
exhibitions or for service requests.  However, after the photographic
print
was made it was then accessioned into the collection.  So, currently we
have
a negative with one number and a print of that negative with another
number.
  In some cases both the print and the negative were given the same
number.

I personally don't think that the prints should be accessioned at all
but
should be put in a reference file for future use.  However, the
director
says that they are valid as collections items and that if you follow
my
argument then we shouldn't accession any photographic prints at all and
only
negatives.  Since, he says, in actuality all photographic prints are
essentially copies from a negative.

I understand the merits of his argument but was wondering if anybody
had any
thoughts or has faced a similar situation. (I won't be offended if you
take
his side!)  Also, does anyone know of any printed sources that deal
with
these issues?

Sorry for the long post and thank you in advance.
Laura L. Hortz
Curator of Collections
Siouxland Heritage Museums
Sioux Falls, SD