Date:
Sat, 29 Aug 1998 10:40:17 EDT
Liz :

Sorry for taking so long to respond to your question regarding your resource
center.  The Naturalist Center is a very large resource center (30,000
objects, 2,400 books, sci. equip., etc.) that is open to the public for
individual and group study.  While we do not loan materials to schools there
are a few things I would like to comment on.

First, my experience during 15+ years of working with schools and teachers is
that teachers love kits that have everything already done for them.  If those
kits identify specific curricula requirements, that helps teachers see how the
kits can fit into their school year...kind of a teacher's version of "plug and
play"

Second, having said the above, I would advise you to think very carefully
about doing just that.  I strongly believe that most teachers have virtually
no idea of the learning potential of museum objects.  A kit while useful,
reduces a teacher's need to be creative.  The result is that a teacher sees a
kit as the only way the objects can be used.  What I believe is a better
design for a resource center is not as a kit but a raw resource (with examples
of how other teachers have used the resources)  Provide a catalogue of objects
that are available for school programs, and workshops that help teachers look
at the resources creatively to fit multiple disciplines and curriculum
requirements.  It takes more work, but the results are much more rewarding.  I
would be happy to tell you more about our "iwonder" teacher training program
that focuses on training teachers how to do just that.

Richard Efthim
Naturalist Center
Smithsonian National Museum of Naturali History
741 Miller Drive, SE, Suite G-2
Leesburg, VA 20175
phone:(800) 729-7725
fax: (703)779-9715