From:
Chad Landsman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Jul 2009 11:35:57 -0500
Hi Erica,
I have had a reasonable amount of experience with NAGPRA reporting and
consultations and would be happy to answer any specific questions you
might have about the topic.  I could ramble on about the benefits to
museums, but will spare the list.

My suggestions would be to spend some time looking into the
collaborative process and how much museums can learn about their
collections by partnering with the tribes affiliated with their
collections.  Not only is there an exchange of ideas, information, and
the return of collections, but also the research involved in the
process.  If not for NAGPRA, some museums (and tribes) may never have
had the resources to study, conserve, or return Native American
objects.  In my opinion it has been a win-win situation, overall.  Not
always the most comfortable or easy, but worth it nonetheless.  Hope
this helps.
chad

--
Chad W Landsman