From:
Belinda Nickles <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Aug 1998 18:07:53 -0400
I don't think you can get into trouble thinking that
some museums are hoping to fill positions with
certain people.  I would give anything in the world
to work in a Native American museum, especially
one on or near a reservation.  Yet, every time I apply
for such a job I know that all other things being
equal a Native American would probably get the job.
It even makes sense as most of them are going to
have more insight into the collections and the cultures
than I could have because I grew up outside that
culture (despite all the years I have spent studying
those cultures).  Still, I keep applying and one of these days
I'll get there.  Apply to any job you want.  After all no one
knows your ethnic background from a resume and by
the time you get to an interview you know it's because
of your qualifications.

Belinda Nickles