From:
Lynn Laffey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Apr 2007 13:36:16 -0400
Looking for thoughts and opinions...

Recently, two consultants that were hired to transcribe several diaries
for our institution requested permission to use information from these
transcriptions for a book they hope to publish.  This has caused some
debate with our staff.

Our main concern is that since we paid these professionals to produce
these transcriptions, that we may be crossing ethical lines by then
granting them permission to use this work product for their own profit?

It was also mentioned that...in the future we should consider
that “paid” consultants can not produce a product based upon work
performed under contract.   However, I am not sure that this would be
enforcable.  (ie. a preservation architect reproducing/referencing the
work they did for us in an article)

Has anyone come across this issue? Any thoughts or opinions would be
helpful.  Thanks you.

Lynn Laffey
Morris County Park Commission