From:
Mark Janzen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Oct 2004 13:16:23 -0500

Richard,

That did sound a little like "Who's on First". None the less I do not

personally think it is a problem. It does not sound like a conflict of

interest, as long as it is all above board. You will want to be especially

careful to make sure people know why you are wanting to make the change,

but if you are the best person for the job, there is no reason working for

organization B would have any negative bearing on moving to organization A.

Actually, having the experience of working with organization B so closely

might be of significant benefit to the organization A position in question.

Your moving on might be a loss to organization B, but organization A's gain

would seem to be an associated gain for organization B as well.

Organization B would not be losing your expertise completely.

I would say go ahead and apply for the position, and make sure your

director/boss in organization B knows that you are interested in moving. As

to whether it would work against you, I would say it depends entirely on

the makeup of the leadership of organization A and B, and whether they

generally work well together. Does the director of either organization A or

B have a nickname, such as "imperious leader", "der fuhrer", etc? If so,

that could be a problem. I often refer to this as the pettiness factor, in

relation to institutional resistance to upward mobility. That would likely

not be a bridge you want to burn. Unfortunately, that is something for

which we can only provide moral support.

Good luck. By the way, I work for a very similarly structured organization,

or so it would seem.

Mark Janzen

Registrar/Collections Manager

Edwin A. Ulrich Museum of Art

Martin H. Bush Outdoor Sculpture Collection

Wichita State University

(316)978-5850

             Richard Taylor

             Sent by: Museum           [log in to unmask]

             discussion list                                            cc

             SE.LSOFT.COM>                                         Subject

                                       Posting a message to Museum L

             10/12/2004 12:01

             PM

             Please respond to

             Museum discussion

                   list

               SE.LSOFT.COM>

Hello everyone,

I am currently an employee at an art museum.  I’m posting this question

because I need advice on this….  There’s a job opening at another arts

organization (organization A) that I’d like to apply for.  However, I’m

currently a board member of organization B and organization B is under the

umbrella of organization A.   I’m not a board member of organization A

itself, but again, organization B is a sub-set of organization A.

My question is, would it be a conflict of interest simply to apply for a

position at organization A?  If so, what actions do you suggest I take

since I’d really like to apply to

organization A?  Is it a point against me to apply for this position since

it means that I’d most likely have to step down from my position as a board

member for organization B if I am accepted as an employee for organization

A?

Thank you for you help…

Hope I didn’t confuse anyone…please reply on or off-site.

Sincerely,

Richard

The Museum-L FAQ file is located at

read "help" (without the quotes).