From:
Lisa Shockley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 May 1999 13:43:49 -0500
I'm certain that there is no person out there who does not realize that many drugs are illegal.
That taking these illegal drugs is not a good idea for optimum work, or even daily life performance.
I agree with both of these statements.

Yet, the last time I checked, I was living under the United States Constitution. I know that many have heard this before; but, what category does drug testing fall under? The closest I can guess is search and seizure. There is supposedly the idea of probable cause. If a person is
looking for a job, is that reason to suspect illegal drug use? If so, we all have been candidates for being suspected drug users. If a person has been employed by a company for fifteen years, as a good and reliable employee, is this drug testing the meritorious service award of the
21st century? What reason is there to suspect illegal activity?

I resent the implication that if a person is against drug testing, there is something to hide. The only thing being hidden is a person's supposedly guaranteed rights in the United States. It is also a shame how quickly people want to sue anyone. Perhaps someone whose test comes back
with a clean bill of health will find some reason to challenge this practice.
Lisa Shockley
Kansas City, MO

Shannon Berg wrote:

> I understand that there is quite a lot of talk about drug testing for
> employees.  I would like to add my comment to this forum...
>
> DRUGS ARE ILLEGAL.  If you are not a law abiding citizen, do you not
> believe that an employer has the right to know?  Do you not understand that
> drugs can have make a major impact on the productivity of ones work?
>
> Furthermore, if one is a drug user, and can not lay off the drugs long
> enough to take a test for an upcoming position for employment, this may be
> an indication that there is an even greater problem, the person may be an
> addict, hence a downfall of problems would then follow.
>
> Yes, we all have our right to privacy, however, you are hired by a company
> to be productive and mentally capable of handling the position offered.  If
> you can not even stay off drugs long enough to clean out your system to
> take a stupid drug test, you obviously are not the type of person that an
> employer looks for.  Is it fair to have them hire you without a drug test,
> and then find out 2 weeks later that you are a junkie who is not capable of
> performing the duties expected of them?

> Important Subscriber Information:
>
> The Museum-L FAQ file is located at http://museums.state.nm.us/nmmnh/museum-l.html. You may obtain detailed information about the listserv commands by sending a one line e-mail message to [log in to unmask] The body of the message should read "help" (without the quotes).

> [log in to unmask] The body of the message should read "Signoff
> Museum-L" (without the quotes).

Museum-L" (without the quotes).