From:
"Robert O. Dahl" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Aug 1994 08:06:00 -0700
>On Mon Aug.22 Paul Apodaca writes:
(snip)What is it about racism and colonialism that makes one inhumanity
>acceptable and another not? When people have been driven to such poverty
>that they sell their dead does that give the colonialists the legitmate
>claim to do the same? Why does an expression of concern for the dignity of
>humanity and a call for legitimate scientific inquiry, versus P.T. Barnums
>sideshows, become labeled as bigoted? Can a clouded interpretation of what
>an undocumented people did in their deepest abstracted approaches to the
>purposes of their society be used by modern institutionalists with
>credibility as a justification for their actions? I never said every
>curator agreed with me, or that all scientific inquiry should stop. I
>merely said there was no need to exhibit corpses to children and others at
>museums. If this is hiding the truth, then autopsies and possibly medical
>examinations should be put on display as well?

Paul, I want to be sure that I understand you correctly:

1) Who are you referring to when you talk of people driven to such poverty
that they sell their dead?

2) Where did you get the idea that anyone who has contributed to this
string believes that:"an expression of concern for the dignity of humanity
and a call for legitimate scientific inquiry, versus P.T. Barnums
sideshows, are labeled as bigoted"? Are you referring to the Australian
Egyptian exhibit as a sideshow?

3) Who are you referring to when you say:"Can a clouded interpretation of what
>an undocumented people did in their deepest abstracted approaches to the
>purposes of their society be used by modern institutionalists with
>credibility as a justification for their actions?" The Australians again?

4) When you say:"I merely said there was no need to exhibit corpses to
children and others at museums." You are stating your own beliefs, and why
are children singled out?

To me the word bigoted means to be intolerant of the beliefs and practices
of others. That is how I used the word in my previous posting when I stated
that the Egyptians and The Catholic Church, among many other  groups in the
world, believe that the display of corpses is a respectful way to honor the
dead.

Paul, I understand that to your culture this activity is considered
disrespectful to the dead, and I honor your beliefs. I agree that one
should never display Navajo corpses for any reason. But to impose your
beliefs on others is bigoted, just as when someone else tries to impose
their beliefs on you.

Respectfully,
        Robert

Robert O. Dahl